Research Councils UK (RCUK) has announced a major new funding scheme, inviting UK Higher Education Institutions to apply for funding to embed public engagement with research. This call builds on from the successes of the Beacons for Public Engagement initiative and aims to support more researchers to engage the public by creating a culture within grant holding HEIs where excellent public engagement with research is valued, recognised and supported.
The aim of the call is to:
1) create a culture within the grant holding HEIs where excellent public engagement with research is formalised and embedded through:
- strategic commitment to public engagement
- integration of public engagement into core research activities of HEIs, including measuring quality and impact of public engagement with research activities
- reward and recognition of researchers and staff involved in public engagement
- encouraging and supporting researchers and staff at all levels to become involved (e.g. by building capacity for public engagement amongst researchers)
- create networks within institutions to share good practice, celebrate their work and ensure that those involved in public engagement feel supported
- contribute to a wider network supportive of public engagement including the NCCPE, other recipient HEIs and the wider HE community
2) build on experience to develop best practice that recognises the two-way nature of public engagement with research
The deadline for applications is 12:00 Thursday 17th November.
Further information can be found here: http://www.publicengagement.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/public-engagement-research-catalysts-call